Monday, August 11, 2008

BBQ Competition


Team name: HQO
Slogan: Gotta have it! Can't live without it!

Wow! What a weekend! We came home exhausted dirty and smelly. And we're ready to do it again!


It's a good thing we were only a couple of miles from home. Most of you know how organized and prepared Brian is for everything, and how I'm not. Well, we loaded up Simon's truck, Ben's trailer and my car and I still had to run home for knives, towels, ice and all sorts of other things.


Also there was the problem of the connection to the tail lights of Ben's trailer not fitting into the outlet on Simon's truck. So I had to follow close behind Brian in my car and hope I could figure out when to brake.


Brian and Ian at camp with our banner.


So we got there and set up camp and soon found out the promised electricity was not there. I had to run out and buy a generator. Having never bought one, or even seriously looked at one, I had no idea what to expect. I went to Lowe's and the cheapest one there was $400! The next two places I looked had them for $550 and $595 respectively. I finally found one at Harbor Freight Tools for $300 and bought that one. Then I had to go get gas and oil to run the thing. Then I had to get more gas because it held 4 gallons and my gas can only held 2 gallons. And still more gas so Brian would have some during the night. And so on!


After all this I thought, "Man, this is not going to work out at all!" Brian slept at the camp and Ian and I went home and the morning started off with me forgetting to get up and Brian calling in desperate need of gas! So I got Ian up we got dressed and ran out the door and returned to the campsite with the gas just as they were closing the road for a parade. The nice officer let me through though.

The rest of the day was marked by a lot of "hurry up and wait" as we would sit around 'till it was time to do something to the meat like turn it over or prepare it for turn in, and then sit around 'till it was time to do something else.

We made all of our turn in times. In fact it was hard to keep Brian from trying to turn them in early! Chicken was at 2:00, Ribs at 2:30, Pork at 3:00 and Brisket at 3:30. Luckily for us Rita and Michelle took Ian swimming with Ellie and Ethan during the turn in times.





Chicken in turn in box.




Ribs in turn in box.





Pork in turn in box.




Brisket in turn in box.


After that we tore down camp then sat around and waited for the awards. They called the 3rd place, 2nd and 1st place in each category, then Reserve Champion and Grand Champion for overall. Then afterwards they gave you a sheet of paper that told you your scores and your overall ranking.


Out of 12 teams we got 8th for Brisket, 7th for Chicken, 2nd for Pork, 1st for Ribs and 3rd overall. We were shocked. We were not expecting to receive such high marks! You should have seen the look on Brian's face when he got the call! And the when he got another one he just sort of sat there in shock!




Brian and Ian Taking their first Place Ribs award.




And their 2nd place Pork award.

So, like I said, we're ready to go again!















These are just some banners and team names we liked. Smokin' Hot Sisters was my favorite!

Oh! I forgot to mention, I get to keep my book! Brian won $100 dollars for his 2nd place pork and $150 dollars for his 1st place ribs! And while that did not quite cover the cost of the generator, he said I could keep my order anyway. Isn't he a nice hubby?

7 comments:

Wrena said...

Wha' Hoo'! What time is dinner? We are always ready for some of BRIAN'S cookin'! Congradulations to all! Tara you deserve a gift for all you loving help!

All American Family said...

So can we come over for dinner also? That all look soooo good! Congratulations!

Heather Shepherd said...

WOW! That looks like it was fun! Did you guys create your "logo"? Maybe I'd better add you to my list of illustrators...

Congrats on keeping the book!

Amy said...

Tara,
I have seen your comments on my blog and other but it never dawned on me that you had a blog. I am such an air head. I am glad that I found it. I loved to hear more details about the BBQ and see that Ian had a good time at kindergarten. I miss him around here.

Hey we missed you at book group last night.

I am glad that you were able to keep the book order.

Kelli said...

Tara, missed you at book group last night! I was so happy to hear how well your husband did at this competition! Congrats! That is so cool. Sorry it was so crazy with the generator and all, but it sounds like it was fun!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys: From the faily here in the Northwest: CONGRATS on the family affair... Sorry to have missed it. But GREAT as usual. Do it again. Looks delecious as usual. LOVE M & D & J We are annomous as usual

Donna and Jim said...

Wow, the meat looks awesome. No wonder you won such high marks.