Friday, May 22, 2009

Ladybugs to the Rescue!.... NOT!

I have nine rosebushes. My personal philosophy is there is always room for a new rosebush especially if it promises to be one that smells good. To that end I like to cut off roses and bring them in the house for their beauty and their scent. However I HATE aphids. Nasty crawly bugs that eat my roses!
Noticing that I already seemed to have an aphid problem I went to the nursery and bought ladybugs. I bought them at about 1:00pm and brought them home and set the container on my kitchen table to release in the evening so the ladybugs would not fly off but instead make their home in my bushes. That was the theory anyway.
When I went to release them it looked like they were all dead. Now, they hadn't been moving when I got them but I assumed that was because they kept them in a 'fridge and that as they warmed up they would wake up and move around. But eight hours later they were not moving. So I called the nursery. They said to wait 'til morning and see what was what. Guess what? They're still dead. Stupid Bugs. Now I have to take them back and hope the next batch is not a dud too. If they are I'm getting my money back and buying my Ladybugs elsewhere. Humph!

2 comments:

Amy said...

what a pain! I hope it works out before it becomes a huge headache!

Anonymous said...

Hi, thought Ian helped them in his new insect container ?? Need more or do you have an army now?? Can bring you some Washington ones if you like?? Take care. LOVE to ALL. Papa and G'ma