Friday, January 9, 2009

Ian's new Guinea Pig

About a year ago Ian came to Brian and I and told us he REALLY wanted a Guinea Pig. Brian and I REALLY did not want a Guinea Pig. But Ian would not give up. So we told him if he could save the money to buy one, and a cage, and food and dishes and other assorted things the Guinea Pig would need, he could get one, but he would have to keep care of it and clean up after it himself. Now, Ian was 4 years old at the time and while he had an allowance we figured there was no way he would not spend at least some of it and it would take him about three or four years to save up the $80 to $100 he would need. Let me tell you that kid did not spend a CENT! Not only that, he would look for extra jobs to do do earn money and would save any spare change he found on the ground.

Yesterday, I counted his spend money and he had a little more than eighty bucks saved. (I did not tell him I was counting it, I was just curious.) EIGHTY BUCKS! And he's five years old! Some was allowance. Some gifts and such, but you have to understand, Ian has a spend jar and a save jar. Half of his money is his to spend as he likes, and half is money he is saving for collage. So that means he has approximately $160. He is FIVE! This kid is dedicated!

Well I had to go to PetSmart to get some light bulbs for the fishtank and Ian fell in love.

Okay, I'll admit this is not a Guinea Pig (Thank Heavens!) This is Simon. The newest addition to our pet family. He is very cute, very sweet. And "talks" more than any cat I've ever met. Yes, Even more than TAC did, if you can believe it. Ian paid for him and I think Simon knows and is grateful. I keep stumbling across the both of them curled up together with Ian petting Simon and Simon telling Ian stories. It's very sweet. I think Simon is a good addition.

8 comments:

Amy said...

How great!

Wrena said...

Loved reading the new post! Miss you 3 lots too! Off, to read more that I missed some how or another! Ian - your GR8!

Kelli said...

What dedication that boy has to save all that money! That is such a great trait to develop especially in the world we live where saving is so rarely done. Great job, Ian! And now he is reaping the rewards. And what a cute reward it is.

Jaqui said...

That's amazing! What a great lesson to learn so early in life. What a sweet kitty!

Heather Shepherd said...

Oh, I love your kitty Ian! I really miss mine and I'm glad that Simon found a good and loving home with you and your mom & dad.

Melanie said...

Way to go Ian. That does take dedication. The new cat is adorable.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ian; We so LOVE your new kitty, Simon. But we missed meeting him, now we have to wait until we come again. Give Simon our love too... See you soon. LOVE Papa and G'ma

Anonymous said...

Hi Buddy, I love Simon and you! I can't wait to meet him when I get on an airplane again. Keep saving those pennies just like Tete.