Thursday, April 2, 2009

Am I Stupid?

A couple of months ago I went to visit the doctor for a check up when she told me she was fairly certain I have sleep apnea. Three tests and a CPAP machine later it turns out she's right. I HATE that machine. I am certain it is some sort of medieval torture device. It's either in my way for rolling over or its beeping because it is not on my face correctly. On the upside I've never slept better. But my doc wanted me to go see an ENT anyway.

You see I was sick a while back and the doc at the walk-in clinic mentioned my "very prominent" tonsils. (His words, not mine.) So when I went to check back with MY doc for the final results of my sleep study I mentioned this to her. She took a look and agreed that the were "rather large". (Again, her words.) So I went to the ENT to see if the tonsils were a contributing factor to my sleep apnea. He said that I did not have prominent tonsils, but rather "gigantically large tonsils that almost meet in the middle and are certainly contributing in a large part to the sleep apnea." ( His words, I swear)

So at the end of this month I am going to go have my tonsils out. This does NOT sound like fun to me. And the question I have is, am I stupid to have my tonsils out just so I, hopefully, won't have to sleep with a machine any more? It's not a sure thing, but I REALLY hope it works.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there; just wait,,, time will tell and we hope for the best. See you and the troup soon. Papa will bring you "ice cream" all the time, 24/7, soooooooooo. LOVE Papa and G'ma.

Wrena said...

Tara, Dear YOUR NOT STUPID! I'd try most anything to rest better! Wish I was there to do the sister thing for you while your in the hospital! Email me the dates please. I think of you often now I know some of the reasoning other than I flat miss you!

Heidi said...

Ouch, doesn't sound like fun ... but worth it in the long run. With those descriptions sounds like you need it so go ahead and get it over with. Tammy and Dad both have their machines, too ... I call them little aliens when they're wearing them! But it definitely improves their sleep (and their moods the next day!)

Heather Shepherd said...

oh, man!

Let us all know the date of your surgery! I'll bring pudding or popcicles or ice cream or whatever you want over!!!

Amy said...

Wow,
no fun!
That helped someone else I know with their sleep apnea. I hope it works for you. Hey let me know exactly when it is to happen and I can help with Ian or ANYTHING else you need.

Anonymous said...

Keep us posted. It will pay off in the end. Good luck.