Friday, December 12, 2008

Amy's Shuttle Cake


Amy asked me to make a cake for scouts and I agreed. It sounded like fun. So she wanted to know if I could do another Space Shuttle cake like I did for Ian's birthday. If I had just done that all would have been well, but my darling hubby convinced me I needed to do it a little differently.
I had seen this spray on color stuff and decided to make fondant frosting and just spray it on. AND this is where my trouble began. Apparently black is a color you can only find at Halloween. However I did finally locate some at the 4th store I tried. Then it turns out fondant doesn't much like being sprayed. It sort of ran and became all streaky. One can was supposed to be enough for six, eight inch cakes. This is how it looked after I used two complete cans. Darling hubby, who got me into all this to begin with, very kindly came along and told me deep space was dark purple and streaky anyway. (Okay, so I gotta love him.)
Then it was decided that I should make a planet in the background. And I came up with the bright idea of using one of those pictures you see of a dark planet with the sun just peeking around the other side. Which in photos looks pretty nifty. And probably would have on my cake if I had any idea of how to accomplish such a thing. So the dark part with no stars is supposed to be a planet and the white and purple part is supposed to be a sunrise.
Anyway, it didn't turn out awful, but I need more practice. So if you need a cake, let me know!

3 comments:

Amy said...

your cake was the hit of the night. it was fought over everyone wanted it!

Anonymous said...

Super Great; Now I just need a great Santa one !!!

Kelli said...

Tara,
Sorry it was a pain but it looks great! btw, I am jealous of your special edition book. It looks very cool.